Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Team A Newscast: 4:00

This was the first time that I had been the producer for a newscast. Coming into it, I had a pretty good idea of what I was supposed to be doing, but was not necessarily always sure how to go about doing it. I pretty much figured out how to create a run down simply by trial and error and playing around with the ENPS Software. I was a little bit stressed coming into it at first considering that we were the four o'clock newscast which meant I was going to have less time to figure things out than I would have liked. I was glad, however, to have story ideas already from my two reporters the night before that they were going to cover.

Eric had told me that he wanted to do something involving Hillel and Andy Samberg. When he presented his idea to me, I told him that I thought it was a pretty good angle and if it was approved, to go for it. Once it was approved, I was pleased with the approach that he took on the story. I felt that it was timely and relevant considering that Andy Samberg was having a show later that night.

I was a little more nervous about Emily's story since it wasn't a traditional wrap. Emily wanted to do a live story from the home opener for the women's softball team. I liked the story idea, but admittedly was a little uneasy about doing a live wrap since no one in our class had done that to this point. However, I was also excited to be trying something new like this and giving it a try. With Ryan's help, we were able to get Emily on the phone and put her live on the air from the softball field. I thought her story came out good since she was not doing it in studio, although I would have liked less weather details of what it was like that day to be given since we were going to be going into the weather shortly after, but other than that, no complaints.

Coming into the day, I hadn't received any story ideas from Flavia about what her phoner was going to be. During the producer's meeting when we were throwing ideas out for phoners, I thought we had some good ones, and we were able to branch out from some of the ideas given to come up with another phoner idea about the Air Canada flights that will be coming into Syracuse. Flavia got ahold of Christina Reale at Hancock Airport and was able to get a good phone interview.

The timing aspect of this was the toughest part for me. For the most part, our time was pretty much right on up until Emily's piece. Her piece went a little bit over, which is understandable considering she was reporting from the softball field and not looking at the clock like I was, but other than that it went very smooth. We were able to get our kicker read, but did have to go to the short weather and goodbye to finish on time, which I thought Flavia did a good job of adjusting to.

No comments:

Post a Comment