Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Lunch Break From Hell

People working at The 500 Building on South Salina St. spent lunchtime outside in the cold thanks to a broken fluorescent light.

One of the building's owners, David Shah, says a ballast, the part of the light that controls the amount of electricity, broke, causing the fluorescent light to overheat.

Shah says one of the building's tenants called the Syracuse Fire Department after they smelled something burning.

The deli on the first floor of the building was packed with people buying sandwiches and coffee when firefighters showed up in the lobby after 12:30 p.m. A crowd of more than fifty people gathered outside and watched as firefighters rushed into the building.

People started coming back into the building after firefighters found the source of the burning smell. The fire department says there was no fire or smoke.

"This is the first time this has happened since I've been working here," Shah says.

No comments:

Post a Comment